Forum Replies Created
I notice you say “there seems to be an issue with FastCGI”. Can you please explain exactly what the issue is?
I don’t agree with your assessment. A colleague of mine has managed to update the site from his machine without experiencing the problem.
Unfortunately I’m not able to update the site at all. How can it be an issue with the version of PHP on the server if we have two different experiences on two different machines accessing that same server?
“I am not able to change the version of PHP on the server (5.3.26 CGI/FastCGI).”
Hi Nick, thanks for persevering…
I’ll upgrade to WordPress 3.5.2 and version 1.7 of the theme as you suggest.
I’m asking you to fix what looks very much like a bug in your theme. How is that ‘outside the scope of the support team’?
Um, you don’t seem to have a proper understanding of my what I’m asking.
The problem I’ve found is that, when you include the “Sidebar Blog” on the archive.php template USING VERSION 1.6 of your theme, it doesn’t display the same content as it would USING VERSION 1.1 of your theme.
Can we please stick to why this is happening, and disregard the order of blog posts etc?
I’ve tried pasting the code you gave me into the sidebar-archive.php and it (obviously) doesn’t output anything on to the page. I changed the IDs in the $post_ids array to the values of the posts I’m trying to get.
I still couldn’t get anything meaningful out of the code you gave me but, regardless of whether it will work with some changes, I think this is an satisfactory solution to the problem – unless I’ve misunderstood you (and please correct me if I have) – the IDs of the posts are hardcoded into the PHP, which means that any change to the menu requires a change to the template, which almost defeats the point of having a content management system.
It seems to me that this is a bug in your theme – as I’ve said in previous posts on this thread, the problem did not occur in earlier versions of the theme and occurs in the latest one.
Please can you fix the theme or – in the meantime – provide me with a solution which fixes the problem in the code, rather than a hardcoded hack?
Thanks for your reply. We know about the scrolling bug and will fix it at a suitable point.
As for your suggestion, won’t that create a static menu that only includes certain posts? If so, that’s not suitable, as we may change the developer pages in time.
I am using a call to get_sidebar(“archive”). (With apologies,) I incorrectly mentioned the dynamic_sidebar function in my last post.
My sidebar-archive.php file is identical to the one in your pastebin linked above, with the exception that I have a call to get_search_form() above the menu now.
My archive.php looks like this: http://pastebin.com/T8YR4vqb
- which I think is right, and yet the problem is still there.
Thanks for your patience.
I have tried all of your code, including the call to dynamic_sidebar passing the ‘archive’ argument. I have amended the functions.php file and created the sidebar-archive.php file, then created the widget within the WP editor.
You can see the problem on the following pages:
Right (blog posts using standard template):
Wrong (using archive and sidebar-archive files you supplied):
The problem is still there; the widget uses the “Recent posts” component but does not display recent posts correctly. A PNG showing the widgets admin page is here:
- in which you can see that the sidebar blog and archive sidebar are using the same component.
Looks like someone else may have noticed a similar problem:
Is it related?
Thanks for your help. I did try something similar, but, having tried your code, unfortunately I still get the same problem, in that a call to the function:
- still returns the wrong content. I get a list of the following links:
- rather than the actual blog posts, which is what I expect:
As I said in a previous post, this behaviour doesn’t happen on our live site, which uses version 1.1 of the theme, and it does happen on our development site, which runs version 1.6.
Also, if you check our live site:
- it doesn’t have this problem. The live site is running theme 1.1 and the dev site is running theme version 1.6.
There are styling and content changes between the live and dev versions but no significant changes to code – and certainly not to the menu functions. Therefore, I think this may be a bug in the theme.
Thanks for your reply. The pages are still there, but this forum software seems to have included the trailing ) in the second url listed, which breaks that link.
On the second page (which uses archive.php), I want the dynamic_sidebar menu containing the blog posts to show (i.e. the same menu as you see on the first page – developer), but when I inclue the code
- in my archive page, I get incorrect content.