thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately you are right. I am not sure what to do and am afraid to mess up even more if I try to ‘fix’ it myself. Do you offer such a service?
Many thanks, Conny
one more thing as I have just had word back from the domain host team:
Thank you for your reply.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I have checked your issue with website http://www.mcgbusiness.com/ and it seems that the issue is with the cleancut theme. I have tried to restore the backup, however the issue persists. Hence I suggest you to contact your theme vendor to fix the issue or restore the oldest backup if any is available in your local machine and check the issue.
If you have any further questions, please update the Support Console.
yes, I went into the template file and changed content for the first two placeholders (line 72). The first one could be saved and viewed fine.
But the second one has thrown up the error as mentioned above.
At this stage it will either take:
1.) Restore to original content (not sure how to do that)
2.) Get a techie to access and fix.