Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

The host did an auto update to WP 4.5 and the images all went bad.
    I did an update through the enfold manual system and it killed the child theme it seems.
    I removed my key to keep that from happening again.

I had to restore the site back to before the WordPress update (04-01-2016) and it works, but that is not a fix.
    Enfold says:
    “No Updates available. You are running the latest version! (3.5.3)”
    And this is a restore from 4-01-2016 so I must assume that I have additional issues besides the most recent version of 3.5.3

Would like to know what to tell my php guy who made the child theme what he has to do to get new version of enfold to work with new version of wordpress and his child theme. Or if that is the issue at all.

Or if I should wait until release 3.5.4 before I attempt an update?

Hi stevenleith!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Please make a back up of your current Child theme. Then upload a fresh copy of the child theme to activate and put the changes from the back up in the new child theme.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!
    Jordan

Do you mean do not use the manual update process but do this.

1. Backup my current child theme.
    2. Do and ftp update of the enfold theme (thereby loosing all the current settings).
    3. Then copy in the old child theme files

Seems a bit harsh.

Or do you mean

1. backup the child theme
    2. use the enfold manual update process which will kill the child theme
    3. FTP in the old child theme folder

Thanks,

Hey!

Can you expand of what exactly happened when you did the manual update (“it killed the child theme”)?

Regards,
    Josue

Sure,

I was told that a site had issues. I looked and sure enough all the images were gone. I noted at that time that the host had updated to wordpress 4.5. As standard procedure I turned off all the plugins and the problems remained.

I checked enfold and saw there were version issues.

I went in and manually updated the theme to enfold.

After the manual update done within enfold theme update option, the child theme was no longer recognized.

I restored the site back to April 1st. Then I began this thread since as far as I could figure, the child theme should not have been affected.

Details:
    When it said the child theme was gone/broken and then the entire site went away, I looked at the enfold files online with ftp to see. I could not find the child theme there anymore. That is when I restored and everything came back. Now it is possible the child theme was still there and in my distress I failed to find it, but given that wordpress choked upon looking for the child theme I think it was not there.

So I kinda assumed that their may be a new way, not backward compatible, for handling child themes and I need to alert my php coder that the child theme needs to be changed.

Hm, sounds weird, can you provide us FTP access? (the one you posted aren’t working).

Best regards,
    Josue

Sorry, I pasted the wrong link for ftp.

I have successfully updated enfold for another client this morning (who has no child theme) and it worked just fine.

BTW, I have the client buy their own version then give me their api key since I am a bit confused how I can manage more than one api key since I am moving over to using your enfold rather than build myself.

So, back to this one.
    http://vanwyckandporter.com/

Client want serious changes to your nice portfolio options so we had no choice but to do a child theme, and my php guy followed your child theme format and it worked great (the new feature: http://vanwyckandporter.com/company/#03).

The host did an auto update before I could force a new update from you and the site lost images. I did an update when I was alerted, but then the child theme appeared to vanish. I restored the site back to pre-wp 4.5 and took a deep breath.

However, strangely, after my restore I found that the new theme version was listed as the current theme so I wondered what the story was about the child theme and the new 3.5.3 enfold and WP 4.5

Thanks for your timely replies and sorry if I am missing something obvious.

I noticed
    Enfold
    You have version 3.5.3 installed. Update to 3.5.4.

Should I update this site to the newest version and see if the child theme remains?

Or wait until I hear from you on my odd issue?

BTW, I don’t mind using ftp to put the child theme back, but that sort of update may be beyond the end user when they take this over.

Hey!

Please update to .5.4 which also solves some issues.
    Thanks a lot for your time and patience

Best regards,
    Basilis

Ok I did the update for the site in question and it too removed the child theme.

I was able to move the child theme back but I need to know if my php man put the child theme in the wrong place and this will always be an issue and if I need him to change the way he set the child theme up.

I have included the connection information again.

If the child theme is where it is supposed to be, how do I turn this over to the end user if each time there is an update the child theme dies?

I will be having my php man do an addition to the child theme this week an he can fix its path if that is the issue so please let me know.

Steven Leith
    Word-Ware
    206-282-4591
    http://www.word-ware.com
    http://www.wordwarepress.com

I can not connect with the access you posted (FTP), what method are you using to update?

Best regards,
    Josue

Weird, I wonder if you are blocked in some way.

Regardless, the method I use to make updates is the manual method in the theme updates.

If this is not the way, please advise the right way to do updates. I assumed ftp of the new files would overwrite all settings.

But if that is not true and is the way this needs to work let me know.

And connection is via sftp If I didn’t say that I am sorry.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by stevenleith.

As you’re having this issue i would suggest doing it via FTP, i mean manually replacing the enfold (and only the enfold folder), as long as your child theme directory isn’t touched you shouldn’t lose it.

Best regards,
    Josue

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.