Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dear,

I was changing some settings in the theme settings (propulsion) and when I saved the settings I got this error:

The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.ampersandphotography.eu/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this webpage later.

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

From that point on my site was unavailable. I was able to get my site back up and running by changing the name of the theme-folder via FTP. I retried activating the theme but got the same problem, this was with propulsion and eunoia.

I restored my root to an earlier back-up and everything worked again … until I tried to save some changes in the theme settings. I have never had this before with propulsion or corona and it is even with the new theme eunoia. So I am completely clueless at this point and would really like to start setting-up my site in the new theme.

Sincerely,

Nick

Please check your allocated memory value ( http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP ). I’d set it to 128M because then you’re on the safe side even if you’re using many third party plugins, etc.

I tried that, did not help. I also tried a clean wordpress and a clean theme install but all without success, until I decided to wipe the entire root folder and reinstall wordpress, then re-install the theme and afterwards re-adding my plugins and posts from my back-up. And now the site is back up and running. I don’t know what exactly caused the problem but I know it happened simultaneously with saving changes in the theme-framework of both propulsion and eunoia. But a said now it saves without a problem and site is back up and running.

Another question is it possible to write something in the custom.css saying that it should not overwrite layout.css when a mobile device is browsing the site?

Yes, you can use css media queries – i.e. following code:

@media only screen and (min-width: 768px) {
    .title-span{display:none;}
    }

would just affect screens with a minimum resolution of 768px – you can change/adjust this value and set it to eg 1024px, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘500 Error after saving/updating theme settings’ is closed to new replies.