Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m experiencing the same problem as described here: https://kriesi.at/support/topic/crawling-errors-500/

Symptoms:

Google Webmaster Tools reports a 500 error on /wp-content/themes/ .

I am using a child theme. The post above suggests this fix:

“This normally happens because robots are trying to index wp-content/themes/enfold/index.php and in that enviroment get_header doesn’t exists (hence the error), add this to your robots.txt to prevent crawlers to index theme files:”

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-content/themes/

Unfortunately, did not work for me. Any suggestions for how to resolve this 500 error on the parent theme? Thanks!

Thanks.

Hey Tomzilla!

hm have you got the same issue with a default WordPress theme?

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks. No I haven’t tested a default theme. I’ve seen two other people on Enfold support with exactly the same problem. Pretty sure it is theme related. The log shows an error calling an undefined function get_header, which makes sense. Though the solution above does not work for me.

Hey Tom!

Out of the thousands of sites that enfold is running on… a few similar issue will be reported. If you notice that others have the same issue the reason for it might not be the same in your case as every site is setup in different ways hence the earlier solution is not working for you.

As you already know if you setup the robot.txt and disallow the crawler it will simply not index. You need to correctly set this up for it to work and allow google some time to update the same.

Are you using any SEO plugins ? Is it set correctly to do this job? I hope it is not generating an automated robot.txt for you due to which the one you are setting up is getting overwritten…

However if you search on google “prevent google from indexing a url” you do get a lot of helpful step by step information.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/topic/4617736?hl=en&ref_topic=4589290

Best regards,
    Vinay

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Vinay.

Thanks Vinay.

“If you notice that others have the same issue the reason for it might not be the same in your case as every site is setup in different ways hence the earlier solution is not working for you.”

That is always true, though because it is the same *exact* file and same *exact* symptom Google complains about, it’s more than likely the same issue. The fix was set up correctly and I asked Google to crawl , it did, and no joy. The Google error is a nothing more than a minor annoyance, but instead of putting this back to me, maybe the parent files shouldn’t be crawlable in the theme in the first place. Just saying. Thanks for trying, though.

Hey!

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Our developer team has been informed of this issue hopefully in one of the future updates we will release a fix.

Regards,
    Vinay

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘500 error reported on /wp-content/enfold/ (parent theme) in Goog Webmaster Tools’ is closed to new replies.