February 7, 2013 at 11:40 am #20166
I’m trying to optimize my theme using http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/browser-addons/seo-doctor
Reading the advice on the websites, there should be one H1 tag and several H2s.
On the 1st screen / http://www.pawelsuder.pl/industrial/
you can see two H2s, one as a logo, the other as the archive title so:
- I do not want to argue with the Kriesi but the H1 logo is right? if it is not necessary, how can I remove the H1 class without damage the structure of the code? (screen 2)
– I’m also trying to reduce the H1 font size from 36pix but only hight of the header is active, why? (screen 1)February 7, 2013 at 11:41 am #106524February 8, 2013 at 2:02 pm #106525
SEO is an ever changing complicated subject. The reason I was always told to have the logo/title of the page in an h1 was because its the title of your site and thus very very important.
You can remove the header tag from the logo in your theme files:
* return the logo of the theme. if a logo was uploaded and set at the backend options panel display it
* otherwise display the logo file linked in the css file for the .bg-logo class
* @return string the logo + url
if($logo = avia_get_option('logo'))
$logo = "<img src=".$logo." alt='' />";
$logo = "<h1 class='logo'><a href='".home_url('/')."'>".$logo."</a></h1>";
$logo = get_bloginfo('name');
$logo = "<h1 class='logo bg-logo'><a href='".home_url('/')."'>".$logo."</a></h1>";
You can change the height of the h1 by adding the following to your custom.css file in the css folder of your theme files:
DevinFebruary 9, 2013 at 10:16 am #106526
Thank you for your opinion about H1 with logo but what do you thing about two H1s per one website?February 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm #106527
Not a big deal if they are inside other containers. We see the site visually while the spiders see it through the code. Even more so has html5 becomes used and you can define articles directly.
Right now it could be bad and later good or the other way around but ultimately its what each owner wants for their site and believes to be “correct”.
DevinFebruary 25, 2013 at 11:40 pm #106528
One more question to you. Many people can say that the H1 tag for logo is good for SEO. But is it good to have the empty alt tag there?
I am using the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.
screen – http://suder.nazwa.pl/logo-h1.jpgFebruary 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm #106529
Last I read search engines completely ignore alt data to force developers from trying to add keywords there when it should be used for screen readers.
So no, it has no effect on your SEO at all.February 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm #106530
The topic ‘H1 / H2 tags vs theme SEO’ is closed to new replies.