Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #25557

    Hi

    I have a weird problem that drives me nuts.

    When I finalized my website http://www.fotowalther.ch on 03/16/2013, everything worked fine.

    I haven’t touched the files since (nothing added, nothing changed).

    I checked the website now and then – worked just fine.

    Yesterday I was notified by a friend of mine, that the site is not working any more.

    I checked the MySQL settings in the wp-config.php file: they completely match with the database.

    I restored the database as well as all files from a backup created 03/16/2013.

    Unfortunately, this did not change anything.

    So far I noticed:

    - on start up a title “NOTHING FOUND” and a message “Sorry, no posts matched your criteria” are shown instead of the slideshow

    - on start up only the navigation (menu) is displayed, but no slideshow

    - in the menu only the link to the WooCommerce shop (“Galerie”) works

    - product categories and subcategories can be accessed, but no category images are shown

    - in the product detail pages the product descriptions are shown, but no product images

    - you can add products to the shopping cart (“Warenkorb”), but the link to the shopping cart does not work

    - the menu items linking to the plugins “Link Library” and “ContactBuddy” do not work

    When I admin login to the website I noticed:

    - the folder “Media/Library” is empty (although the FTP client confirms that some 300 product images as well as their thumbnails are uploaded)

    - the folder “Links” is empty (although there used to be a couple of links)

    - the folder “Link Categories” is correctly populated

    - the folder “Pages” is empty (although there used to be pages such as “Welcome” and others)

    - in WooCommerce the products are there, but no thumbnails of the product images are shown

    Software versions: Flashlight: 2.2.1; WordPress: 3.5.1; WooCommerce: 2.0.3 (English), 3.0.3 (German)

    I wonder what might have gone wrong; why does the exact same installation no longer work (or only part of it)?

    Any advice would be highly appreciated!

    Bruno

    #127379

    Hi bruwa,

    My guess would be that something within your database was corrupted or improperly changed but what that is I can’t really even guess as I’ve never encountered something like it.

    To me it looks like a domain transfer or physical location change that was done improperly. So the database data is there but the media data was improperly switched over.

    Regards,

    Devin

    #127380

    Hi Devin

    you were perfectly right – thanks for sending me in the right direction!

    It seems that something went wrong not only with the database but with the backup files as well.

    In case somebody else encounters a similar problem, here is how I fixed it:

    - I created a new database and imported the original sql file and the original root files (as opposed to backup files I used in a first attempt).

    - I deleted the root files and copy/pasted the original root files (as opposed to backup files I used in a first attempt).

    - I adjusted the wp-config.php file [DB_NAME, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD]

    - I adjusted the login and the password in the database [wp_users]

    - I adjusted the siteurl in the database [wp_options], which pointed to a previous test subdomain

    - I adjusted the Site Address (URL) in the Dashboard/Settings, which pointed to a previous test subdomain

    - I adjusted the URL in the Dashboard/Appearance/Menus/Home, which pointed to a previous test subdomain

    I still don’t know what happened and how/why it happened, but am happy, that I did not need to start from scratch.

    Regards,

    Bruno

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Most of the functionality no longer works’ is closed to new replies.