April 11, 2013 at 1:53 am #21999
This is what I’m trying to do, I tried following some other forum posts about similar topics, but I can’t get it to do what I need.
I want to create a few different categories and sub categories.. this is for Recipes.
within each category, I would like posts to be assigned to the category.
— I’ve done that..
In my menu I put the Main Category Recipes (type page) and have the drop downs set to the Subcategories too.
With Template Builder, I made a Template called Recipes, R.Sidebar, Display Title, and Element BLOG which is filtered by main category recipes.
Type Page, Recipes. I assigned Dynamic Template Recipes..
Now.. I just dont think i’m doing this right, but at about 50% figuring it out..
When you click on the Menu option RECIPES, I would like it to categories and list all the recipes title by category, I figure I need to make a new template for that. — 1 question here, how do I get comments to popup here?
but When you click the subcategory off the main menu nav, Shakes, you get the breadcrumb that states..
You are here: Home » Private: Blog » Recipes » Shakes
and Title, is Archive for category: Shakes
Where is that coming from??
I did make BLOG from the default setup to Private, so I get that.. but I haven’t assigned that anywhere to anything?! I dont want it to be an Archive, and should have it as Home » Recipes » Shakes..
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, just a little lost..
Thanks!!April 12, 2013 at 3:31 pm #113867
I think I have the overall idea of how you have it set up. All posts are under the “blog” heading in the breadcrumbs.
If you wanted to make your posts only recipes then you should just re-name the blog page to Recipes and then it will format the breadcrumbs in the Home » Recipes » Shakes order.
As for the archive, you have to understand how WordPress is seeing your content. A list of posts *is* and archive of those posts. So if you ever click on a tag or a category that is the format you’ll get.
The issue you may run into is trying to replace default created pages with custom built pages. WordPress will always have its own automatically created structure for archives, parent pages, main blog index etc. So creating a new Recipies page with links to each category is only going to be the “top” page for your posts in the menu structure. So you may want to just not include breadcrumbs in your pages so that you have control over where the users can click to.
DevinApril 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm #113868
I’m not sure, but is it possible to create 2 different Blogs? I was hoping to make one for News, and keep the Recipes as a blog too.
I think the only way around my menu problem is to make it a link to a page listing the categories, i’m going to play with that for a bit.
Thanks!April 20, 2013 at 5:37 am #113870
Yes but don’t use the subcategory link in the main menu because it will link to the archive page. I’d create a new page, then add another blog element to it and select the shakes category, and afterwards go to Appearance > Menus to add the blog page to your main menu.April 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm #113871
I did this..
1. Template Builder and create a new template (called it NEWS).
2. Added a “Blog” element to it.
3. Then saved the template and went to “Pages > All Pages”. Added a new page (NEWS).
4. Selected the “news” template as dynamic template in the right sidebar/override.
5. Created a Post/Category called News (not sure If I needed to do this.– not sure how it’s linking to the new template, I’m missing something)
6. Tried to add a new post, and selected category News
Created 2 posts, they will appear in the News Page, but they also appear in the Recipes Blog…
How do I separate where the posts will appear? I guess it’s something I’m doing wrong with the categories.. missing a step.April 23, 2013 at 11:06 am #113872
1. Create a Post/Category for “News”
2. Create a Post/Category for “Recipes”
3. Use the Template Builder and create a new template (i.e. call it “News”)
4. Add a “Blog” element to it and click on the right arrow to expand the options. Select the “News” category
5. Then save the template and go to “Pages > All Pages”. Add a new page (NEWS).
6. Select the “news” template as dynamic template in the right sidebar/override.
7. Use the Template Builder and create a new template (i.e. call it “Recipes”)
8. Add a “Blog” element to it and click on the right arrow to expand the options. Select the “Recipes” category
9. Then save the template and go to “Pages > All Pages”. Add a new page (i.e. call it “Recipes”).
10. Select the “Recipes” template as dynamic template in the right sidebar/override.
11. If necessary add both pages to the menu (Appearance > Menus).April 23, 2013 at 7:03 pm #113873
Thanks, I guess I was missing small things and missed it due to the order ..
That’s all working now, thanks.
But not when I click a Post that is in the Recipes or News,
1. I get Blog – Latest News for the title.
2. The Breadcrumbs (if you click them) are linking to ARCHIVE for Category
I want the correct title to pull, and not sure how to keep it from going to archive.April 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm #113874
If you want to change the “Latest News” text to the single entry title open up single.php and replace:
echo avia_title(array('title' => $title, 'link' => $t_link, 'subtitle' => $t_sub));
echo avia_title(array('title' => get_the_title(), 'link' => $t_link, 'subtitle' => $t_sub));July 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm #113875
The topic ‘Newbie.. a little lost.. need direction..’ is closed to new replies.