October 24, 2012 at 2:51 am #17288
I am using this gorgeous and well polished theme for a photographer and we’ve made some great tweaks that have really made this shine. But for sure I have a few questions…
1. We’re using the portfolio pages as blog posts, and in many cases, because the photographers shoot weddings, we often have a LOT of images for a post. Is there a way to display just 1 image, and by clicking on that image it launches a full 150+ image slideshow in the same page without having to link? We’re using the FancyBox plugin instead of the built in.
2. Can this also be implemented on the beautiful mobile versions?
3. Is there a limit to the number of images we can add to a portfolio? We tried to upload 140 images recently and it kept redirecting to a 404 page when I’d hit publish. I ended up adding about 20 images at a time and could get about 100 to successfully load, it just seems a backwards way to accomplish this.
4. Having sort capabilities in the image upload window is huge! I know that others have recently asked about this and I’ll follow those answers. Just wanted to give my vote for the importance of this feature!
5. Lastly, and this may not be the place to ask this, but I’m SUPER intimidated by the StackOverflow Forum… Since I am using the FancyBox 2 Plugin, it has the “Button Helper” already installed, but not functioning. They recommend I visit FancyApps website and follow the on screen instructions for the code to insert to activate the Button Helper, basically it’s a Play/Pause Feature. Only thing is, I have no idea where on this theme to actually install this code. Here’s a thread in SO that makes a little more sense, but even still… where to put the JS is eluding this NOVICE. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8956820/ (Purchase code hidden if logged out) -helper-fancybox-thumbnail-helper
Here’s the site where this is all being done: http://quetzalphoto.com
Thanks a Million for being accessible to us newbies.October 25, 2012 at 2:19 am #94865
I’ll just go through each question and answer as I can.
1+2) Not without using some kind of outside plugin. Maybe NextGen gallery has a feature to open a big gallery like that via a link or something else out there but I’m just not sure of a specific option.
3) The limitation is based on server memory. When you load them into the featured media you aren’t really saving them onto the server completely yet so when you do go to save if the operation is too big the server will time out. Doing 20 at a time is probably the best avenue for getting them all on there.
4) I believe that when you are viewing the pop up window that lets you upload an image you can click on the Gallery tab and use the built in wordpress function to drag and drop the order of the gallery. Then hit save all changes and it should reflect them in the Featured Media. If not, it worked this way at one point and should definitely be added as a feature :)
5) I’m not familiar with the plugin at all but it looks like the plugin is already adding the rel “fancybox” to the slideshow images which is whats making it work. I *think* it just needs to be fancybox-button to work with the buttons which should be able to be done via the plugin. I would suggest checking with the plugin author to see if they can direct you in forcing the plugin to set all images to use fancybox-button instead of just fancybox for the rel attribute.
DevinOctober 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm #94866
Thanks for these answers.
I’ve made some concessions to make this work but am still experiencing issues relating to Number 3.
You say that this is a server side issue but I would disagree.
I have plenty of other sites hosted through this same account, use a variety of different gallery plugins and can successfully upload more than 100 images at a time and NEVER experience a 404 page.
Right now, I have uploaded 69 images to a gallery.
They successfully load through the Multi-Loader. They are successfully saved to the media folder. But I can only attach about 5 at a time if I want to avoid the 404 page.
If I load 5, then update the published post, I am ok. In some posts I am able to load a few more than 5. Here’s a screen shot to show that the images are saved to the associated Gallery in the Media Pop Up. You can also see in the back ground that the images are indeed being associated to the post.
As you can imagine, attaching 5 at a time for a 100 image post is beyond a dumb way to accomplish a task.
If it’s a problem with the PrettyPhoto plugin and I need to switch to something else, I’d be happy to, so long as I can still use the portfolio set-up feature on the front page of being able to sort the portfolio posts.
I’ve spent 3 weeks setting up this theme, and there are so many features that I love about it, except the way it handles large amounts of image.
I would love more advice than this is just a server memory problem.
Thanks again for your help and I eagerly await your answer.October 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm #94867
Now I cannot even add 1 image to a Portfolio that has been particularly needy. From the media browser I add 1 image to slideshow, save changes, close the media browser, click update post and am immediately redirected to a 404 page. :( Help, pretty please.October 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm #94868
You can try increasing the memory limit that wordpress has set so that more is allowed to process at once. First, backup the wp-config.php file in your root wordpress files. Then, add the following to the file:
You can add it right after the others at the top and then save the file back onto your server and see if that helps. I’ll tag another of the support crew on the topic to see if he has any other suggestions as well.
DevinOctober 30, 2012 at 1:45 am #94869
Thanks for your response. I actually took it up to 128M and seem to be running much faster. But man was that a rough wait.
Because I’m not super stoked on the PrettyPhoto plugin, can you recommend any full screen slideshow plugins that are easy to integrate into this Eunoia theme?
My two biggest realizations are that having a sort function of images is crucial to photographers and the ability to have a fill screen slideshow with play/pause functionality is also paramount.
Thanks!October 31, 2012 at 9:29 am #94870
The topic ‘Photographer Questions’ is closed to new replies.