March 28, 2012 at 9:37 am #10797
As a non WP user i’m struggling with the logic of a few things. Altering the html and css is not an issue but I do have the following questions…
1. Can i have a main top level page that when clicked redirects to the first child page?
2. Is there any way i can have an ‘Editor’ user see the ‘Menus’ as currently they can add pages but cannot add these pages or make changes to the menu? (why the pages are not the actual menu is a mystery)
3. Can i have different content in the right sidebar specific to different pages? so for instance i might want different content in the right sidebar on the about page than on the services page?
4. Can the right sidebar only be populated by the pre-defined widgets?
5. I want some pages to be client only pages and thought checking the ‘private’ checkbox would mean the page would not be publicly viewable, but this doesn’t seem to be the case…could anyone let me know how private pages can be achieved?
I think that’s all for now but i’m sure i will have more questions as the site develops.
Thanks for any help
JMarch 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm #69439
I’ll just go down your list :)
1. I’m not sure what you mean. You’ll have to elaborate a bit more for me.
2. You can read about the base WordPress features for Roles here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities
3. In the Flashlight Theme options, click on the Sidebar tab. You can add new Widget areas for specific pages and then populate those via the Appearance>Widgets admin.
4. I’m not entirely sure what you mean. You can add widgets to the sidebars from the Widgets menu as in #3. If you wanted to add additional content there, you can use a Text widget which is basically a blank slate for HTML and text.
5. You can read about the built in wordpress features for this here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Content_Visibility . I would also suggest looking into plugins if you want the experience for clients to be a bit more streamlined.
DevinMarch 29, 2012 at 11:35 am #69440
Thanks for your reply.
1. What i mean is that i have a top level menu item called say “portfolio” and sub-items of “landscapes”, “portraits” and “weddings”. When a user clicks on “portfolio” i want this to go to the first sub-item. So if “landscapes” is first in the list, clicking “portfolio” would go straight to this page. Does that make sense?
JMarch 30, 2012 at 7:41 am #69441
The topic ‘top level page redirect and couple of other issues…’ is closed to new replies.