November 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm #18108
I have 2 questions:
1) regarding the “Blog Overview Image Layout” feature located in the Themes Options. I have set it up so a small image is displayed when mouse is hovering entry. This feature seems however to work arbitrarily (it works with some photos and it doesnt with some others which are displayed completely out of proportion (even if the settings are all the same). Any idea how I could get this fixed?
2) regarding the new update, once I download the theme package and activate it on WordPress, will it overwrite all my posts (will I have to upload all posts again or will they not be affected by the update?)
Thanks a lot for your assistance.
GustavoNovember 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm #98259
2) Yes, You will need to delete the entire old theme folder and replace it with the updated theme folder via FTP. If you made customization to theme files, you should make a backup copy of your current theme first, and compare it to the update to find all you past customization and add them to the update.
1) Since the theme is responsive, its best to prep the images prior to uploading them to ensure that your portfolio item images all have similar aspect ratios and starting sizes. If you are using a variety of aspect ratios and different image sizes, your end result may not look how you intended since smaller images will be enlarged and large images will be shrunk down.
Please show a URL where we can see the issue and provide you with CSS if you are unable to prep images.
NickNovember 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm #98260
Thanks for the reply.
Regarding question 2, I wasnt able to prep the images, so here is the URL where you can see the problem: http://focaljourneyphoto.com/blog/
GustavoNovember 28, 2012 at 11:07 am #98261
Please reconsider doing some prep work. Let me explain. One of your images is 4772×2848 pixlels ( (http://focaljourneyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ (Purchase code hidden if logged out) -Provence-Focal-Journey.jpg ) while the next image ( http://focaljourneyphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ (Purchase code hidden if logged out) .jpg )i s 200×140 (both as being displayed and in its maximum size). You need to select a more consistent size during the upload , otherwise they will look just as they do now, one huge, the other tiny.
What size are you uploading both of those images, and which setting are you selecting in the radio buttons (size select)?
NickNovember 28, 2012 at 2:33 pm #98262
Thank you so much for the prompt reply.
Regarding the size, most of my photos are between 300 and 500kb (I cant reduce them any more than that without comprmosing their quality).
Regarding the ration buttons, this feature is always in automatic mode when I reduce the photo size, therefore, I assume all photos have a different ratio depending on their original size.
Could you tell me what the maximun ratio should be so next time I reduce a photo I can do it manually (and see if it works)?
Thank you very much indeed for your assistance,
GustavoNovember 29, 2012 at 2:05 am #98263
The size of the images Nick is referring to is not in the file size but the pixel size. So if you shrink the actual image height and width it will give you better results.
Have you made any changes to your themes function.php file for image size?
DevinNovember 30, 2012 at 12:40 am #98264
When reducing the file size, I adjusted the photo to 960 (maximum width). And it worked!!
Could you tell me what the ideal height and width would be so I can adjust all my images within those parameters without compromising the photo quality)?
GustavoNovember 30, 2012 at 9:07 am #98265
There is no definitive answer for the ‘correct’ size for background images.Some authorities claim 1024 x 786 is the best. Other claim 1600 x 1000 is optimal. Flashlight theme demo uses 1500px x 937px at around 350k per background image. I would just recommend to optimize all your images , since many visitors have low tolerance levels for slow loading websites.
1) does it all in bulk http://www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/
2) jpg optimizer http://jpeg-optimizer.com/
3) png optimizer http://www.pngoptimizer.com/
NickNovember 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm #98266November 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm #98267
The topic ‘Update and Blog Overview Image Layout’ is closed to new replies.