February 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm #20766
Hello, this is my first time building an eCommerce site and I have some questions about the Woocommerce plugin. I realize that this may not be the appropriate forum for these questions but I’m not sure where else to go, because Woocommerce will not provide support until I make a purchase from them (and most of these questions need to be answered before a purchase). That said, if you know a forum that’s more appropriate for these Q&A’s, please point me in that direction.
1.Do I necessarily need a vendor extension for shipping? What’s the benefit of adding one? I did some research around each of the major 3 to find out what differentiates them (other than the obvious), like does one provide address validation? unfortunately none of the descriptions went into that level of detail.
2. Whats the best place to install Google Analytics tracking code? The theme has a designation, woocommerce has a designation, the SEO plugin I use has a designation, or I could put it in the actual header file. In order to protect the accuracy of the data I don’t want to place the code in all 3 or 4 spots.
3. I see that the theme has menu options for tracking code by default, does this mean that I need a 3rd party extension to provide the code? If so, how does that extension make the code accesible to the client via this menu option? If not where does the code come from and what do I need to do in order to have it activated?
Thanks in advance for your help or for pointing me in the right direction…February 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm #109004
1) I don’t believe any of them have address validation or anything like that. They are there to hook into the shipping api for those methods and spit out shipping cost based on the data you enter and how much it costs to their service based on that data.
Check over their screenshots and information on the individual shipping extension for more information.
2) The theme field needs the whole script with your id in it to be placed in the theme field for it. Once there it will show up on all pages in the footer. It is the one I would recommend.
3) I’m not sure what you mean here. Can you explain a bit further?
DevinFebruary 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm #109005
2. Will that also cover the Woocommerce pages? And “thank you” after a purchase page?
3. Do I need an extension to a tracking code? If so, is it just a regular extension (i.e. http://www.woothemes.com/products/shipment-tracking/)? Or would it be one of the shipping extensions (e.g. USPS, UPS, FedEx)?
The second part was how do I configure the theme/plugin so that it works where the user can go to the default menu item “track my order”, enter their tracking info, and get the requested info?
I hope this is better.March 1, 2013 at 8:36 am #109006
2) Yes, The analytics code will track the clicks/users based on the permalink/page url and all woocommerce pages have a different url (cart, shop, checkout pages, etc.). There’s no need to insert the code into several option fields, etc.
3) Our theme does not offer a “default” tracking code or option. If you want to add such a feature to the shop you need to use a third party extension.
The topic ‘Woocommerce ?'s’ is closed to new replies.